Pressure Treated, Pine, Cedar, Mahogany and Teak
Through our Design Build process, we will begin by reviewing deck types with you. The most common and economical material is wood. There is a range of wood types we offer that influence the project budget, maintenance requirements, longevity, and overall aesthetics. We will work with you to determine the ideal material choice to achieve your style and budget goals.
45 Degrees Diagonal, V-Shape, Parquet, and More
Deck floor patterns provide a unique look and will vary depending on your style and overall deck design. The most common floor patterns are 45 degrees diagonal, v-shape, parquet, angle-cut herringbone, basketweave, diamond, perimeter-trimmed, and alternating board widths.
Picture-Framing, Perimeter Boarders, and Area Divisions
Deck borders provide a clean perimeter around your deck, steps, and break up areas to hide deck seams.
Built-In Benches, Free-Standing Benches, and Outdoor Seating
Integrated benches save space and are built into the deck structure during the deck installation to provide a sturdy seating solution. Free-standing benches are great to move around and provide flexibility in your outdoor seating layout.
Deck Construction in Louisville, KY
You don’t need to head to the mountains to enjoy a campfire s’more and you don’t need to rent a venue for your next birthday party. All you need is a brand-new outdoor deck. Deck space allows you to expand the square footage of your home, enjoy the outdoors and relax in the comfort of your own space. Decks Unlimited is the industry leader in deck construction in Louisville, KY and we work with homeowners everywhere to deliver the outdoor space of their dreams.
7 Reason Why You Should Install a Deck
It’s not hard to see the appeal of having a private, comfortable outdoor space to use throughout the year. Decks are perfect for entertaining, hosting, grilling, relaxing, and more.
- It’s Aesthetically Pleasing: In short, a deck is a beautiful addition to your outdoor space. It elevates any backyard and can be stained to match your home design. Once the deck construction is complete, you can enhance your space with lights, plants, climbing vines, garlands, a fire pit, and furniture to create a true outdoor oasis.
- Increase Property Value: Deck construction is one of the most cost-effective additions you can make to your home. It holds its value extremely well. Most homeowners recoup nearly 70% of the cost to build the deck. Of course, high-quality materials tend to last longer and increase property values more than low-cost decking.
- Increases Your Living Space: Deck construction increases the square footage of your home by expanding your living space. During the summer, a deck provides another space for cooking, eating, and relaxing.
- Room to Host: Even if you don’t have a lot of indoor space for hosting holidays and birthdays – deck construction can allow you to better utilize your space and accommodate guests.
- Quick and Easy to Install: Deck construction is a relatively simple process but should be installed by professionals to ensure the structural integrity. Once we are on the job, you can most times enjoy your deck by the end of the weekend.
- It’s Affordable: The average cost for a home addition is about $200 per square foot. Average cost of deck construction? $30 per square foot. Now you can add extra space at one-third of the price.
- A Deck Offers a New Look: With all of the available decking materials on the market, you can add a whole new look to your backyard. You can go with natural and rustic to composite and modern. Incorporate stone, brick, traditional or geometric design to enhance your own personal style.
Not only does a deck look great, but it provides way more benefits than appearance alone. It gives you more cost-effective space, boosts your resale value and allows you room to breathe in your own backyard.
Deck Materials We Use
There are a variety of deck materials on the market today. At Decks Unlimited, we work with five main types of decking materials in Louisville, KY:
- Pressure-Treated Lumber: This is the number one decking material sold today, and for good reason. It is affordable, durable, and easy to find anywhere in the country. Pressure-Treated (PT) lumber is yellow pine that has been treated to resist rot, fungus, and bugs. This type of lumber will show its age over time, but can last 20-35 years.
- Redwood and Cedar: These woods are also popular choices because they are naturally resistant to rot, decay, and bugs – so they don’t need to be pressure or chemically treated. The downside is these woods are significantly more expensive than PT lumber.
- Tropical Hardwoods: These woods typically have the look of mahogany and create beautiful exotic decking. They often come from South America and are extremely durable materials that are also naturally resistant to rot and insects.
- Composites: Composite is the fastest newcomer to the decking market. It is a mixture of recycled materials that is molded into decking boards. The biggest benefit to composite decking is that it is virtually maintenance free. No need to sand, stain, or seal. It will not splinter, warp, cup or rot because, although it looks like wood, it is not pure wood.
- PVC Decking: This is a 100 percent plastic deck with no wood binders. PVC is popular because it’s maintenance free and doesn’t require the maintenance that wood needs. PVC decking is lighter than composite and more expensive.
The best material for your home depends on your climate, style, and size of deck. We can help you choose the decking materials that will fit your budget and give you the functionality you are looking for.
Deck Design Ideas
A deck can be installed almost anywhere and doesn’t have to be attached to the house. Maybe you want a deck that wraps around the entire house, or a pool deck that protects the perimeter of the pool. You can even add a deck to any side yard, over a garage or nestled against a hill or slope.
- Wraparound Deck: This is like an old-fashioned wrap around porch. Now you can enjoy the views from any angle and follow the sun or shade throughout the day. Wraparound porches can also help with air circulation and send a cool breeze through your home.
- Multi-Tier Deck: If you have a large property, or land that changes in elevation, a multi-tier deck is a perfect addition. This is a two-story deck that is connected by steps or paths. It is a great way to accommodate tricky terrain.
- Attached Deck: An attached deck is similar to a patio and may be slightly raised. It’s generally attached to the back of the house – but may also extend off the side or garage.
- Detached Deck: A detached deck would be an independent deck that surrounds a garden or pool, or simply a backyard island that can be positioned anywhere on the property.
- Rooftop/Over Garage Deck: If you have a flat roof, you can extend your outdoor space to a roof deck. This is a great option for those living in the city to enjoy better views than ground-level.
Your deck can be anything you dream up. Whether you’re looking for a vast expansion or a small outdoor patio, deck construction and deck design is what we do best.
FAQs About Deck Installation
- How much would it cost to build a 20x20 deck?
- The biggest price difference in decking is the materials you choose. Average cost for PT lumber, hardwood or composite is around $25-$30 per square foot. This would add up to around $10,000-$12,000 for a 20 x 20 deck. Another factor that will affect cost is the elevation of the deck.
- What is the cheapest material to build a deck?
- Pressure-treated wood is generally the cheapest decking material you can find at $1.50 to $2.50 per square foot. Cedar is also widely available and makes for beautiful decking.
- How long does a deck last?
- A deck made of untreated wood can last anywhere from 10 to 30 years. Decks made of treated wood and composite materials can last as long as 50 years. Most composite decks come with a warranty of between 20 years up to a lifetime warranty.
Should You Build a Deck Yourself, or Hire Pros?
Deck construction is a large undertaking, especially if you don’t have construction expertise. This is not a typical DIY project. The liability involved with deck construction, and the necessity for structural integrity call for professional contractors only. At Decks Unlimited, we can ensure you will have a safe and reliable deck for generations to come.
- Professional Staff: All of the deck builders at Decks Unlimited are professionals who know and understand the industry. We have the expertise and knowledge to create the deck of your dreams.
- Quality Products: We select and install only the best materials to guarantee a quality finished product.
- Suppliers: We work closely with all of our supplies to provide top brands like Trex, Azek, Deckorators, Timbertech, and more.
- Competitive Prices: At Decks Unlimited, we provide free estimates with honest and competitive pricing.
- Schedule: We can design and build your deck on your timeline so you can ensure your backyard is ready for the next party.
- Best Services: Since 1993, our company has been built on loyalty, and we take pride in building that relationship with each customer throughout each step of the process.
Let’s Add Some Beauty to Your House
There is no need to live life with a boring cement porch. Expand your living space and enhance your backyard with a deck construction from Decks Unlimited in Louisville, KY. With today’s material options and vast deck plans, you can create the outdoor space you’ve always wanted and have it installed on time and on budget. Give us a call today for a free estimate on your new deck from Decks Unlimited.