Covered Spaces, Pergolas, and Outdoor Seating Areas
Repairing your deck is a great economical alternative to building a new deck. The importance of calling for a deck repair in time is commonly overlooked by homeowners. Fixing any damages before it's too late will help maintain your home's value and keep your deck in working order for many more years.
Deck Repair Service in Louisville, KY
A backyard deck is the ideal space for entertaining, relaxing or barbecuing. Over time, your deck is susceptible to wear and tear and deterioration. If neglected, your deck will begin to lose both value and appearance, giving you more of an eyesore rather than an advantage. Making small deck repairs is essential to extending the lifespan of your outdoor space, maintaining a beautiful space, and keeping your friends and family safe.
Things to Look for While Inspecting Your Deck
Too often we only notice a problem when our foot plunges through the deck. We recommend inspecting your deck once or twice a year to look for potential problems.
- The surface of the deck: Take a look at the deck handrails, railings, and floorboards. If you notice any areas where the color has faded, there’s a good chance moisture has seeped in and may be damaging your wood.
- The deck posts: These are the vertical parts that hold your deck up. They aren’t as susceptible to UV damage, but the base of the post can be a trap for rot if moisture collects over time.
- The beams and joists: This is the wood underneath the surface of the deck. Check the ends, where rot first shows up and ensure the joints aren’t trapping moisture.
- The fascia board: This is not a structural piece, but rather a thin board that wraps around the perimeter to give your deck a more finished look. If this is discolored or warped, it may trap moisture and damage the deck itself.
These four main areas are where you’ll likely see problems start. If you can take care of these spots early, you can prevent large deck repairs later.
10 Warning Signs of Deck Deterioration
Decks can take a lot of abuse over the years, but if your deck is deteriorating, it can be a major safety hazard. Look for these signs of deck deterioration that should be taken care of before someone gets hurt.
- Obvious Wood Damages: This is easy to spot. It includes damaged wood, holes, broken or split boards, or wood that shifts when you walk on it.
- Rotten Wood: Sometimes you can see one or two spots of rot, but it can spread quickly and destabilize your entire structure.
- Rusted Fixtures and Fittings: This is usually a problem with decks that are 20-30 years old, and the fixtures and fittings are weakened from age.
- Loose Railings: This is an easy fix, but when the railings are neglected it’s easy for someone to slip and fall.
- Molds and Mildews: Mold on a deck isn’t always a huge problem – but if you see growths like mushrooms or fungicide you could have serious damage.
- Dropped Footings: If the soil around your concrete footings has shifted, the concrete may crack or drop, causing an unstable deck surface.
- Post Erosion: Your posts are likely either wood or concrete, both are susceptible to erosion over time.
- Old Deck: A typical deck will last 15-40 years or sometime longer. If your deck is showing signs of age and it’s over 20 years old, it may be time for a deck replacement.
- Ledger Board Gaps: The ledger board is responsible for keeping the deck attached to the house. If this board is damaged, the entire deck will start to lean, create a gap, and eventually can collapse.
- Widespread Discoloration and Stains: Some fading, or discoloration is natural due to weather elements. However, a serious discoloration or stains may be a sign of underlying issues.
Any of these signs can be an indication that you need a serious deck repair, or perhaps a complete replacement. You want to make sure your deck is safe and functional for family and friends to enjoy before you step outside.
Benefits Of Deck Restoration and Repair
Deck restoration and repair not only keeps your family safe, but also can protect your outdoor investment to enjoy for years to come. A small repair now is a small price to pay to enjoy a beautiful outdoor space throughout the year.
- Improved Visual Appeal: A beautiful deck space only enhances the overall look of your entire property. On the other hand, a dingy or dilapidated deck can make your property look outdated and unkept.
- Boost Your Home’s Value: A deck is one of the most cost-effective investments you can make to your property in Louisville, KY. It provides a comfortable and ideal outdoor space for relaxing or entertaining. Keeping this investment in safe working condition boosts your home value and curb appeal.
- Protect Your Deck from Rotting: Left untreated, your deck will eventually be susceptible to water damage and rot, leaving you with no choice but to take down the entire structure and rebuild.
If you would not let the inside of your house fall into disrepair with mold or rot, don’t neglect your outdoor space either. Regular maintenance ensures your deck can be enjoyed by generations.
How to Keep Your Deck in Great Condition
An outdoor deck is similar to a hardwood floor. It needs to be taken care of to continue looking beautiful. The good news is keeping your deck in great condition doesn’t take a lot of work or fancy equipment.
- Remove dirt and sand as needed by simply sweeping off the deck after use. If you don’t clean the surface, small particles can act as sandpaper and wear through the deck sealant.
- Gently wash your deck surface every year or two. A soft scrub brush or mop and mild detergent will usually do the trick. You can use a pressure washer, but not above 1,500 psi and not closer than 12” from the deck surface to avoid damage.
- Clean up spills immediately to avoid anything seeping into the wood, especially if your deck is porous.
- Check for deck repairs twice a year. In the spring and fall, give your deck a good inspection to look for damaged areas or loose threads.
- Remove snow with a broom rather than a shovel to protect the surface of your deck.
- Use wood stain with UV inhibitors and algaecide to preserve your wood deck for years to come.
These basic principles are important no matter what material your deck is made from. As long as you take care of your deck, it will continue to be there for you.
Deck Restoration and Repair FAQs
- How much does it cost to repair a deck?
- This can vary depending on the type of repair. We have a $600 repair minimum before we will come out and make any repairs.
- Should I repair or replace my deck?
- If the cost of deck repairs are more than 50% the cost of a new deck, it’s time to consider replacing the deck. Even structurally sound materials are still old. If you’re close to 20 years or older and facing major deck repairs, it’s time for a new deck replacement.
- What is the life expectancy of a deck?
- The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors estimates decks made from wood planks will last about 15 years, structural wood will give you 10 to 30 years and composite decking can last up to 25 years.
Should You Repair a Deck Yourself, or Hire Pros?
Even the most experienced DIY-ers, generally hire a professional deck contractor. Why? Because the structural integrity of your deck is imperative to the safety of your friends and family. If you have a guest injured while partying on your deck, you are held liable. For this reason, deck repairs are best left to the pros.
At Decks Unlimited, we are experienced in deck repairs for any type of decking material in the greater Louisville, KY area. Just a few of the reasons our clients love us include:
- Our knowledgeable and professional staff are available to answer your questions and concerns.
- Our suppliers are all top-of-the-line and household names in the industry.
- We offer upfront estimates for free and competitive pricing on all jobs big or small.
- Our full-service team offers everything you need to beautiful and maintain your outdoor space in a one-stop shop.
- We offer innovative design ideas that match your space and your budget.
- We always provide the best and quality materials for your job.
- We work to get things done on time and within budget.
Only Hire the Best
Your deck is an extension of your home that supports all your outdoor entertaining, quality time with your family and relaxing after a long day. Decks Unlimited in Louisville, KY is dedicated to ensuring that your outdoor space remains in top shape to continue serving your friends and family. Give us a call today and we can inspect the current condition of your deck and make any necessary deck repairs so you can enjoy your deck all summer long.