Custom Decorative Pergolas
Shading, Outdoor Seating Area, and Patio Covers
Pergolas are like a canopy and are a cost-effective way to provide privacy and shading for an outdoor seating area. They are simple architectural structures that define a seating area and provide balance to your outdoor living space.
Pergola Service in Louisville, KY
More than any other amenity, homeowners today are looking for comfortable outdoor living.
A pergola, previously called a patio roof, features four columns and a lattice of beams, rafters, or stringers. Most commonly used for shade, they can also provide a beautiful dining or outdoor living space.
Difference Between Pergola, Gazebo, Arbor, Trellis, Pavilion
Any type of outdoor structure adds beauty to your backyard and can add seating, shade, or defined areas. There are five main types of outdoor structures:
- Gazebo: A gazebo is defined by its solid roof. It sometimes has a built-in floor but can also be built on a concrete pad. The shape of a gazebo is undeniable, it’s a beautiful octagon or circle, with open sides and makes a beautiful centerpiece for your backyard.
- Arbor: An arbor is an archway that is often placed at the beginning or end of a walkway. The sides form a lattice and look beautiful with climbing plants or vines. Arbors are popular for gardens, backyards, paths, and wedding venues.
- Trellis: A trellis is basically the flat side of an arbor. It is a large, open framework lattice that supports climbing plants. A trellis is often used as a divider wall in your outdoor space or as purely decorative.
- Pavilion: A pavilion is a mixture between a pergola and a gazebo. It has the full covered roof but is often larger than a gazebo and either square or rectangular. They are often connected to a deck or concrete base and commonly used for an outdoor seating or eating area.
- Pergola: A pergola is defined by a lattice-style roof. It can be large or small and is generally used to provide shade in an open area. It is supported by posts on all four ends with open sides and can be built in a variety of styles.
Why Should You Install a Pergola?
If you have a patio or deck, a pergola extends the functionality of that space. The addition of this outdoor structure creates a more defined space and with shade and privacy.
- Entertaining Space: A pergola instantly provides an inviting space to entertain family and friends. You can install over your outdoor cooking space and/or create a welcoming seating area to relax with friends at your next summer BBQ.
- Add Shade: Perhaps the most common reason for a pergola is to provide shade. It provides a significant amount of shade, even with a trellis-style roof. However, to fully block out the harsh sun of Louisville, KY, you can also install a motorized cover.
- They Are Beautiful: Sometimes you just want something in your outdoor space because it looks nice. Pergolas can be made from a variety of materials in all kinds of designs. Add string lights, hanging plants, and comfortable furniture and you’ve created your own outdoor oasis.
- Increase Privacy: A pergola blocks out the view from above, so if you have nosy neighbors at a higher elevation, they can no longer lurk into your backyard activities. You can also add drapes or screens around the perimeter for added privacy.
- Help Define Your Space: The pergola is a natural way to define your space. Perhaps the space will be used for eating, entertaining, lounging around, or cooking. Whatever you choose to put under your pergola, the structure makes your space more functional.
- Increase Home Value and Curb Appeal: Homeowners are looking for more ways to enjoy their outdoor space. Adding a pergola is an investment that holds significant appeal in the housing market.
- Expand Gardening and Landscaping Options: A pergola is a great place for climbing plants, hanging pots, and even the posts can double as planters.
Your outdoor space has more potential than you ever thought possible. Whether you have acres of land or a small suburban backyard, adding a pergola provides limitless potential.
Types of Pergola Styles and Designs
There are several different styles and designs of pergolas depending on the look and functionality you are seeking.
- Freestanding Style: This type of pergola stands independent of other structures and isn’t attached to a roof, siding, or fence line. You can place a freestanding style anywhere and each column must be properly anchored. This works great for outdoor living, food prep area, cocktail bar, or outdoor play area.
- Attached Pergola Design: An attached pergola is supported on one or more sides by an existing structure, like the home. They provide a smooth transition from indoor to outdoor living, and act as an extension of the existing roof line to give a covered patio or deck area.
- Wall Mounted Design: A wall-mounted pergola or eyebrow pergola is much smaller than a standard pergola and typically designed to provide shade over a walkway or window. They are attached to the side of an existing structure with no columns or pillars.
- Screened Pergola Design: If you’d like additional shade or privacy, you can use a screened pergola design, which uses screens on one or more sides to block out surrounding elements.
- Architectural Screened Pergola Design: An architectural screen, like a trellis, can be added on one or more sides of any pergola to provide additional privacy and a unique design element.
- Pergola Curtains: Adding pergola curtains is a popular option to increase shade and privacy, while also adding an element of soft texture. Curtains are flexible and simple to install. Because you can choose the color, fabric, and pattern, curtains give a beautiful and custom look.
- Modern Pergola Design: A modern style typically uses a box frame with clean and simple lines. Beams typically have straight corners, clean lines, and blunt ends.
- Traditional Pergola Design: Traditional design typically includes a more decorative style with scrolled ends, and columns that are either round or square.
- Contemporary Pergola Design: The contemporary design includes a lot of unique elements like arches, tops, curves, and I-beams. They are typically more decorative in nature than a modern or traditional pergola.
- L Shaped Pergola: An L-shape pergola has columns that are L-shape instead of solid square or round columns. This added an extra design touch and an industrial style.
If you’re not sure what type of pergola you’d like, you can consult with Decks Unlimited in Lousiville, KY who can provide you with samples and design ideas for your space.
Types of Material Used for Pergola
You can use metal, aluminum, vinyl, or PVC materials to build a pergola, but the most popular option is wood. These are the types of wood we use for pergolas in Louisville, KY:
Pressure treated pine: Pressure Treated (PT) Pine is a popular option for pergolas because it is a lower up-front installation cost than other materials. It does require cleaning and a good weather sealant every few years.
Redwood: Beautiful redwood is a soft and durable lumber that ages nicely. It is resistant to rot, but still requires a sealer if housed in humid areas.
Ipe: This South American hardwood is naturally bug, rot and fire resistant, making it the perfect material for an outdoor structure.
Cedar: Cedar is a very popular choice because of its versatility. It can be sanded, stained, or painted. It is extremely durable and tends to last longer than other woods. A cedar pergola can last for 15-20 years depending on maintenance.
Your pergola should match your home or any existing structures. Choose a wood and stain that will complement your home and add interest, protection, and value to your outdoor landscape.
FAQs About Pergolas
- How much does a basic pergola cost?
- This can vary quite a bit depending on size, material, and style. A simple pergola will be about $2,000 and the price increases to double or even triple that for a custom-built option with professional installation.
- What is the point of having a pergola?
- A pergola extends your living space. Even during winter or cold months, a pergola can provide you with outdoor living space that fits your lifestyle.
- Do pergolas actually provide shade?
- Yes, pergolas provide shade even with their beamed roofing. As the sun moves across from east to west, the beams will provide shading throughout the day. You can also add screens or a solid roof for complete shade.
- What should I put on top of my pergola for shade?
- If you'd like additional shade, there are lots of options such as a shade sail, install a tin roof, or even roof panels you can install directly on to your existing pergola.
Why Choose Decks Unlimited?
We provide the best custom decks and covered outdoor spaces in Louisville, KY. Decks Unlimited is built upon six core values:
- Our professional staff is focused on exceeding expectations from start to finish of every project.
- We provide quality products with seamless construction that will last a lifetime.
- We work with only the top brands and source all our materials from socially responsible suppliers.
- Each client received a free consultation, estimate and a quality finished product within their budget.
- Your pergola will be designed and delivered within your schedule and completed on time.
- Our wide range of services allows us to deliver a cohesive project that completes your vision for your outdoor space.
Want to Give Your House a Stylish Look?
If you’re wishing your outdoor space was more usable with space to entertain, lounge, and eat outside, a pergola from Decks Unlimited is a great choice. With Decks Unlimited in Louisville, KY we can make your outdoor dreams a reality with a custom pergola designed just for you. Give us a call today for a free estimate.